Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Happy is the man......

I read this quote somewhere..


Happy is the man,
And happy he alone
He who can call today his own.
He who secured within can say-
"Tomorrow do thy worse i have lived today"
And very true isnt it!!!!
I also completed reading this book- The ZAHIR by
Paulo Coelho

The book talks about Zahir,an Arabic word which means 'visible, present and unable to go unnoticed.' It refers to something or someone that ends up being the only thing we can think of. Paulo tells a very different, gripping story of love, loss and passionate obsession.The protagonist of this novel is a renowned author who writes about spirituality. He is suddenly abandoned by his wife, who leaves no trace of herself behind. As the story unfolds the author becomes obsessed with understanding the reason for her desertion.

The Zahir can be a person, a job, an objective, but the attempt to possess or achieve it never brings us happiness, instead, it becomes an unhealthy obsession. Unfortunately, this is an experience everyone goes through.
Can a person have more than one Zahir in their life?
As frustrations accumulate, Zahirs appear. That way, we don’t think about how to solve the problem, instead we become fixated on its image.

What i feel is that there is a big difference between a Zahir and a normal dream. It’s one thing to follow our dreams and to believe in the signs that guide us on our way. Then we have a goal to aim at, but we also enjoy the journey.
With a Zahir we don’t get that same feeling of joy with every step we take, but only the stubborn desire to get what we believe to be necessary for us to live.


The novel is also full of comments on what it is to be rich and famous, on the meaning of money, on what motivates a writer and on the nature of marriage.

Above all the best thing i like in the book is the part about forgetting your personal history by going on talking about it to everyone and hence making room in your mind and body for the energy of love..more love...unending love. Well...no one else would agree more on this topic than me.
I have come across this poem in one of my mails which i guess would be relevant to quote here...





Today I smiled……



Today I smiled and all at once
Things didn't look so bad.
Today I shared with someone else,
A bit of hope I had.

Today I sang a little song
And felt my heart grow light,
And walked a happy little mile,
With not a cloud in sight.



Today I worked with what I had
And longed for nothing more,
And what had seemed like only weeds,
Were flowers at my door.


Today I loved a little more
And complained a little less,
And in the giving of myself,
I forgot my weariness...


Well.....All in all the book is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home